The 10th CSC meeting took place in Senegal on 4th November 2018 at Ndiambour Hotel. The CSC meeting is supported by a Sub- Committee that serves to facilitate review of projects technical progress aspects. The Sub Committee held its meeting prior to the main meeting on 2nd and 3rd November 2018.
The EOA CSC is chaired by African Union Commission and was chaired by a new AUC led Chair Dr. Simplice Nouala the Head of Agriculture and Food Security Division (AFSD) who takes over officially from Dr. Janet Edeme who chaired the EOA CSC since 2014.
Mandate of the Continental Steering Committee;
The CSC is at the apex in the governance structure of EOA in Africa. Its members serve to provide EOA in Africa and its membership with guidance, oversight and decision-making regarding the operations and activities of EOA Initiative in Africa. The members are appointed to serve on behalf of their institutions, not as individuals and agree to represent the general interests of their sector.
- Awareness raising of EOA agenda, brand and profile at continental level through lobbying and advocacy.
- Resource Mobilization and fundraising and soliciting support for the EOA initiative in Africa
- Overall program development guided by the Strategic Plan (2015-2025)
- Providing oversight, advice and guidance, on the implementation of the Strategy
- Ensuring wide stakeholder participation in EOA Initiative
- Knowledge sharing and management
- Representing the CSC in national, regional and continental meetings and workshops as advised by the chair of the CSC.
The committee holds its meeting in Senegal so that they can support and attend the 4th Africa Organic Conference planned to take place in Saly Portugal from 5th to 8th November 2018. For more information on the conference please follow the link https://www.aoc.afronet.bio/
Other key areas discussed by the committee were plans for the next phase of the SDC supported EOA-I project, sustainability strategies of the project beyond donor funding, how to mainstream and uptake EOA-I at AUC level, Strategies to harmonize organic certification at regional level, strategies for uptake of organic farming by farmers, strategies to catalyze organic agriculture uptake and financing by national governments among other discussions
Members present for this meeting were the following:
- Dr. Simplice Nouala- AUC chairing the meeting from Ethiopia
- Jonathan Ocran – AUC from Ethiopia
- Dr. David Amudavi – Biovision Africa Trust from Kenya
- Gunilla Eitrem- SSNC from Sweden
- Peter Sidler- SDC from Ethiopia
- Olugbenga AdeOluwa- NOAN from Nigeria
- Prof. Simplice davo Vodouhe- OBEPAB from Benin
- Fortunate Nyakanda0- ZOPPA Trust from Zimbabwe
- Mr. Ernest Aubee- ECOWAS from Nigeria
- Dr. Sarah Olembo- Former CSC chair and former rep AUC from Kenya
- Prof. Charles Ssekyewa- Ugocert from Uganda
- Louse Luttikholt- IFOAM OI from Germany
- Ms. Jane Nalunga- Nogamu from Uganda
- Mr. Jordan Gama- Afronet from Tanzania
15. Mr. Alex Mutungi- Biovision Africa Trust from Kenya
16. Mr. Moses Aisu- AfrONet from Tanzania
17. Ms. Venancia Wambua- Biovision Africa Trust from Kenya
18. Ms. Rosinah Mbenya- Pelum Kenya from Kenya
Please refer to the agenda’s of the meetings here
10th CSC Main meeting Agenda Final 2018-Fnal Draft109.8 KB
10th CSC Sub Committee Meeting Agenda 2018 Final Draft237.8 KB